Re: Re: Starting a ZVG project...

From: Graham Toal <gtoal_at_gtoal.com>
Date: Fri Jul 13 2007 - 15:27:56 EDT

On 7/13/07, ldaubin@bellsouth.net <ldaubin@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > Also, I'd appreciate any links to ZVG project pages done by others -- I want to go slow so I don't blow anything up.
>
> With some technical help from Zonn (thanks!), I recently completed a mod of a Cinematronics 'Armor Attack' to a ZVG multigame. My hardware mods are completely reversable - in less than two minutes, it switchable back to a stock Armor Attack, control panel, monitor, speaker, everything! Mind you, I haven't been playing much on the Cinematronic CPU since I bought a ZVG ;^) Emulated gameplay on a 1.2Mhz Athlon is damn near perfect. I'm using a PCI Soundblaster and USB iPac, spinner, and calc keypad (for Space War).

==

It's been some time since I've had the time or inclination to pull out
the ZVG I bought
some years back and play with it again - main disincentive being the need to
program in DOS. Are there any winxp - or preferably unix - drivers for it yet?

I have in the intervening years I bought a IDE adapter for a CF card with the
intention of using it for this project (I squeezed the ZVG and an early small
form factor 386 into a Vectrex case - depressingly expensive motherboard
compared to the smaller and faster ones available now) so I no longer have
the hassle of running on a 1Gb portable computer drive that I had tried to
use the last time (power was the biggest issue - three power cables and an
IR keyboard receiver coming out the back spoiled the aesthetics just a
little...)

Graham