Re: Starting a ZVG project...

From: Zonn <mlists_at_zonn.com>
Date: Tue Jul 17 2007 - 03:14:16 EDT

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:27:56 -0500, "Graham Toal" <gtoal@gtoal.com> wrote:

>It's been some time since I've had the time or inclination to pull out
>the ZVG I bought
>some years back and play with it again - main disincentive being the need to
>program in DOS. Are there any winxp - or preferably unix - drivers for it yet?

I'm thinking *nix drivers can't be that hard. We had a military customer (Air
Force I think) that bought a ZVG to test some Vector Goggles -- would that be
cool or what!

They were CRT based (seems like they'd be a bit bulky), and so old that there is
no test equipment available for them, hence the ZVG.

After months of phone calls helping him design something to drive the goggles (I
even had him buy one of those WG6100 deflection board replacements to drive the
yoke. He also had to invert, and amplify, the Z-axis), he finally got it
working.

The last time I talked with the guy, he said a co-worker had ported the DOS
drivers to Linux, and that they were working great!

I asked for a copy! But the guy just laughed. I'm sure the rewrite is some
sort of "Top Secret" project now.

Maybe I should file a Freedom of Information lawsuit? :-) Somehow I think
rewriting the drivers myself stands a much better chance of getting Linux
drivers, than suing the Air Force. :-)

-Zonn