Just a little show and tell

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue Oct 06 2009 - 23:00:01 EDT

Way back when (probably about nine years ago as a matter of fact ;-) I
bought a bunch of bare LV2000 boards from Jeff and kitted the parts from
Mouser. I used a couple and then took the rest to Ground Kontrol and let a
couple of our trainee game repair people put them together for the machines
at GK. That was, in hindsight, not the best plan. Lots of f'ed up LV2000's
with lifted traces and various other damage. Whoops.

Since I've been slowly picking through my dead WG6100 chassis over the
summer (and now fall) it seemed like a good time to make my own LV2000 clone
for GK that was as totally foolproof as possible (no wires to solder or
things to tune) and that could stand up to some abuse. I used really thick
traces and double-sided copper to make them a bit less fragile (for our
occasionally ham-fisted technicians) and the connections to the deflection
board are short, solid pins so there's no way to wire them up to the wrong
spots. The back of the board is basically solid copper plane connected to
the regulator tabs by some vias to help sink heat away.

Anyway, they arrived last week and turned out kinda neat, so I thought I'd
share a pic of my variation on the original.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/--yIG3xhraInl24S8VCHDw?feat=directlink

(...and yes, I should have labeled the pins more like +/-26V, but I had the
target voltage for the output of the power transistors on my mind. ;-)

-Clay