Re: Messed up my Black Widow

From: John Huie <jehuie_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun Jul 01 2012 - 19:00:07 EDT

I mean both.....when power is on I get no LED and when I removed the pcb from the game, I measure zero volts between the ground and +5 test points.  Which makes sense since they are shorted now.

I've gone over the board pretty well with a magnifier but I'll do it again.  And I'll have my son with aspergers syndrome take a look as well since he's amazing at finding issues like that.  :)

And to be clear, when I'm measuring the resistance and getting a short this is with the board removed from the game and all roms removed.  Also, I neglected to mention that I had also ended up swapping all of the socketed chips over at one point so I've checked each of them for bent pins, lifted traces, etc.  Can't see anything that looks amiss.  And I'm still getting the short between +5 and ground test points with ALL those chips removed.

I also plugged the board into the game again with all chips removed and still no LED or +5 reading there.

I'm thinking maybe I have a hosed socket. Which would be hellish for me to find.  I don't have a scope but I do have a logic probe. But getting no power means that would be worthless I think.

And just an observation....I can't believe how responsive you guys are compared to some of the enthusiast forums.  I posted on KLOV and got very little response to my question.  I actually had a bit more on AHA but there's very few tech type folks on there.  So thank you even if I don't get it going!

John