Re: Reversing X output on B/W vectors

From: Andrew Wilson <andrew_at_hyperbole.com>
Date: Wed Nov 11 1998 - 16:09:48 EST

> Hey all, I'm pretty new at this and came across a perplexing problem.
>I picked up an Asteroids with monitor problems. The monitor works but is
>very dim with the brightness all the way up and the vectors are huge on
>the screen even when turned all the way down at the board?

        These sound like classic symptoms of old caps - I'd install a cap kit (they
are only $4.95 from http://www.randyfromm.com/Zanen.htm)...

> I have two spare monitors that both came out of Omega Race's. They
>both work on the asteroids but, The screen is backwards (I guess cause
>Omega Race uses a mirror) Is there an easy way to reverse this?

        Just reverse the +/- X leads to the monitor (or Y leads, whichever is
swapped). I think you can also tie one of the inputs on the Asteroids board to 5V to
do the X inversion (see the pinouts - I think PIN 19 on the solder side is the INV X
lead).

> They also both have vertical lines about 1 centimeter apart all the way
>across the screen that create a small ripple effect as the vectors pass
>through them. Seems odd that they both have this problem. any thoughts?

        Can't help ya ;(

                        Drew