Amplifone HV probs/Thank you John Robertson

From: Noel Johnson <nej_at_airmail.net>
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 23:05:11 EST

Hello All!

Well I finally got my first amplifone running last weekend (in a Star
Wars UR). :-) Believe it or not I have a working red flyback mounted on
one of the blue HV pcb's. I had to remove the HV and resolder one of the
tiny wires from the coils of the red HV to it's base plate, but now it's
working! I have a problem though that I think may be HV related, since
it occurs with each of the four deflection boards that I have gotten up
and running this week. The problem does not occur with a Wells Gardner
mounted for testing. During the death star explosion the screen gets
very out of focus and the entire picture swells. The picture expands to
the point that the three gun turrets are no longer visible on the sides
and bottom of the screen. After the death star explosion, all is well
until the next time to blow the darn thing up. I haven't capped the HV
yet, but will try that soon.

Any help would be appreciated!

I would also like to take this oppurtunity to thank John Robertson for
the small cache of Wells Gardner and amplifone parts he supplied me
recently! Both of the two amplifone deflection boards he supplied
worked perfectly after replacing a couple of missing chasis transistors
that had been raided to repair other boards during the years in storage
(just as he told me they were)! Thanks John! I look forward to testing
the rest of the boards soon... ;-)

Thanks,
Noel