Huh? Was: Re: various vector...

From: James R. Twine <jtwine_at_jrtwine.com>
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 20:51:27 EST

    (Not sent privately because it asks a question of the list as a whole.)

From: <jwelser@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
> > Clay Cowgill wrote:
> >
> > > I'm afraid I just can't get along with this rule. There's too many
> > > exceptions. [...]
>
> You're 100% right. Change what I said in the last post to NO
> commerce. Period. No exceptions. I'm sick and tired of [...]

> > > Since this isn't my list to direct, I will respect the wishes of the
group
> > > as a whole and simply unsubscribe.

   Since when, exactly, did the *entire* wish that? Did I miss something?
I cannot imagine the entire list feeling that way. Also, it would be
pretty hypocritical for anyone who ever bought someting, from a post on
this list, to feel that way.

   It was not some stupid eBay post...! Jeeze!

   Who else can honestly say that (s)he was negatively affected by that
post?

> It's a matter of the point/niche of the list. This list has
> consistently maintained a much higher SNR, IMHO, than RGVAC, [...]

   It still does, that has not changed. I, for one, still see more
technical stuff than "For sale..." or "I have available..." kind of posts.
But regardless of your "much higher" remark, you are looking for *no* ratio
at all, right?

   (Obvious failures of the "Duh!" reflex coming up...)

   You, and possibly others, seem to not notice the possible problems one
can experience from posting the availability of an "AVG Replacement" to
RGVAC when only a limited number are available. And how would everyone on
the Vector list feel if their news server was slow that day and they missed
out? Then people would be complaining about why it was *not* sent to the
list.

   Common sense (which is apparently *not* common) tells you that the
chance to purchase parts/replacements for a Vector game (Vector list,
right?) is more appropriate than hearing about "Jesus is the ultimate power
supply". Bad analogy.

   (Whatever happen to simply pressing [Delete] for any message that you
did not want to read? It is not that hard...)

   Has any (serious) thought been given to simply starting another vector
list, if enough members of the group wanted to, and remove "no commerce"
rule? This is not the same as a "For Sale" list, but more like a
replacement list. Something set up using "listbot.com", with minimal
administration, could be possible.

   Just food for thought... (We can still express opinions, right?)

> [...] My violin is still in its case.

   *Highly* inappropriate... and not Vector-related.

> Joe

-=- James R. Twine <jtwine@jrtwine.com or jtwine@transactionworks.com>
    Senior Software Engineer