Re: various vector...

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 17:40:04 EST

> Clay Cowgill wrote:
>
> > I'm afraid I just can't get along with this rule. There's too many
> > exceptions. "Push" commerce isn't allowed except for reproductions and
> > whatnot... What the hell? It's still selling something. Presumably the
> > seller still makes money-- presumably the product is available in even
> > *greater* quantities than original parts. Selling a reproduction control
> > panel is OK, but selling an original isn't? Huh? "Pull" commerce is OK
> > too? ('I need a such-and-such')

        You're 100% right. Change what I said in the last post to NO
commerce. Period. No exceptions. I'm sick and tired of trying to bend
like a pretzel to satisfy everyone. I realize that that's not going to
happen. There are plenty of places to post FS and WTB posts. This list
doesn't need to be one of them. The whole schpiel about giving vector
collectors a break was kind of bogus anyway. Anyone subscribed to the
list knows who its members are. If you want to give a special deal to
vector collectors, post the stuff for sale somewhere else and give the
vector collectors a special deal. What you do with what you sell is your
perrogative, no matter where you post it for sale.

> > Since this isn't my list to direct, I will respect the wishes of the group
> > as a whole and simply unsubscribe. I'm afraid I just liked the "old days"
> > better when I could find parts and equipment in forsale posts and if the
> > discussion drifted off topic I didn't need to worry about a federal
> > inquiry-- or being an "offender". :-( I haven't used a 2400bps modem in
> > years, so bandwidth isn't a concern-- and I'm quick with the 'delete' key if
> > I don't like something I see.

        It's not a matter of bandwidth (I just saw a joke that said
that all the people who complain about bandwidth wasting should
abbreviate bandwidth by "bndwdth" to save over 20% of the
bandwidth.) It's a matter of the point/niche of the list. This list has
consistently maintained a much higher SNR, IMHO, than RGVAC, arcade list,
and any other forum for discussion of arcade games, IMHO because its
content has been somewhat restricted to technical stuff.

        If you feel the need to unsubscribe (again) and make a scene over
it, that's fine. My violin is still in its case.

Joe