Re: Re: V: DVG Multigame

From: John W. Linville <linvjw_at_mmcnet.com>
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 15:45:42 EST

In defense of Clay, there is real value in the way he "productizes" his
projects. I did a run of SW->ESB boards a couple of years ago and I
offered them up for sale, thinking that people would want them. (This
was in the period between the old and new versions of Clay's kits when
he didn't have any kits available for sale.)

All I offered was the board and a pointer to the instructions for how to
use it. Actually, I also offered the pre-joined rom images and I
offered to program the PALs, but very few people wanted my boards
because they wanted a "product" not a "project". In fact, I had to
install some boards myself (and even give away some EPROMs and PALs) in
order to sell enough to pay for my PCB fab...

Bottom line: There aren't as many of us "geeks" in this hobby as you
may think there are... :-)

John

P.S. I still have a few boards if anyone is interested... :-)

P.P.S. Do I wish Clay would make more of the "guts" of his stuff
available, at least to the rest of us "geeks"? You bet! But I'm not
holding my breath...