Ampliphone HV-other options?!

From: Aaron Howald <Ahowald_at_bilbo.w-link.net>
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 03:32:16 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Anderson <mayday19@idt.net>
To: <vectorlist@mcfeeley.cc.utexas.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 1999 5:53 PM
Subject: RE: Ampliphone HV FAQ is done!!!

> > I wonder if there's such a thing as "several" HVT's that have common
> > footprints and at least "sorta" close specs? If so it'd probably be
> > possible to do a single PCB and then have different stuffing options for
> > more than one transformer in-case one were to "go off the cheap list"...

I'm toying with taking a cheap Emerson fly back (less than $20) and using it
for a WG monitor I have-it still has the original FB!
Why Emerson? They are cheap, never fail (not yet) and each FB's pins are
marked on the TV circuit board-even the voltages (and Emerson TV's are crap
anyway...)
I will probably have to wind an extra drive coil on the outside for this to
work, and change some part values. (But use generally the same HV circuit as
now) Mechanical mounting can also be a problem (Think 1/3 the size-even with
the foucus/G2 built in!!) I think it is worth a try. Running the HV supply
right off a 120 volt AC B+ (about 140 volts DC) may also be feasible (if
designed to isolate grounds...) If you haven't guessed, I work in a TV shop-
Flybacks are REALLY availible here. I will post a "how to" on this if I am
successful!

Aaron Howald
ahowald@w-link.net