Sega G-80/Cinematronics Multigame Soundboard

From: Clay Cowgill <vector_clay_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 02:53:49 EST

Hey all,

I'm basically going to be 125% swamped for the next couple months, but just
to put a stake in the ground...

I found a stash of sound chips that will do nicely for use in sound-boards
for the Cinematronics and Sega G-80 multigames. :-) They're stereo
ADPCM/PCM chips that are tailored for autonomous sound playback (a little
microcontroller can give a command that ammounts to "play sound X at volume
Y-- let me know when you're done"). I'm planning on using two or three of
them for either 4 or 6 "voice" polyphony as needed. (which I think will
cover 95% of the game needs)

The idea is for a little "sample playback" module that can just have an
application specific "decoder" board bolted onto it to handle the conversion
of the sound triggers from the particular game in question. (So I make a
"G-80 system" adapter and stick a couple modules on it-- if someone else
does a Cinematronics multigame they can have a little "cinemat" module that
you can stick a couple modules onto... It's like, Audio-sample Lego's or
something. :-)

And yes (Neil :-), they can address up to 64Mbits of storage at high sample
rates, so those with bat-ears can have super-high quality samples without
compression at the expense of having to pay for more memory on the board.
;-)

I won't get to it for a couple months at least, but I just bought a bunch of
the chips-- so that gives me an incentive to finish it (to get my $$$
back!).

-Clay